Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hammock Your back Pain Away

Hammock Your Back Pain Away
An aching back is a real pain. And yes, when I climbed out of my hammock this morning I did not have any. Another restful night! Another pain free morning! How does it get any better than this? The back pain thing for me seems to have been a culmination of sporting incidents, auto accidents, and construction mishaps, all compounded by stress. The hammock solution started during a trip many years ago up the Amazon River, a murky humid wonder of a place where we all slept on deck in ragged old hammocks. We got partial relief from the ferocity of the insect world using old insect netting jammed up as well as we could do it and spread over the hammock. Never slept better! And in the course of travel up through Central America and into Mexico, I found that every region had its own distinctive hammock style. In the rural areas, and also in the more complaisant urban areas, these are still in wide use in beds. When I got back to the States I had brought a couple with me, and out of nostalgia strung them up for bed use. How sweet it was!
But life goes on; and a guy meets a girl; and things build and develop; and the next thing you know, the old married guy is sleeping in a king size bed with all those darn pillows and shams, and all this other paraphernalia that seems to be required in that environment, including, alas, that old familiar pain in the lower back that seems to be exacerbated by the tossing and turning on terra firma. This went on and on for years. For a person who suffers from back pain, there are two aspects of sleeping in a bed that seem to make the situation worse. Only the most extreme and extremely expensive beds do a creditable job of providing all over support. And virtually all beds create pressure points that instigate tossing and turning, tossing and turning which can put unusual pressures on the back, especially when "under cover".
Massage helps. Chiropractic helps. Alphabiotics helps a LOT. But it wasn’t until my memory was jogged by happier days that I started seeking out a hammock to set up as a relief pit stop. This proved fruitless in the area where I lived; and it wasn’t until I tried shopping on line that I found a great website devoted to the theory and practice of using the Mayan Hammock as a bed. No sooner had my King size cotton Mayan Hammock arrived and been strung up, I began to find ongoing relief from the ailments of a too solid flesh! The reason that the hammock provides such relief is that it does not create pressure points; and the “cellular” weave structure provides remarkable support over every inch of the body. It is almost like floating in a pool of water, except a lot drier. In the hammock I wake up in virtually the same position I went to sleep in. Without the tossing and turning, my back has been comfortably supported throughout the night.
Of course there are concerns to be dealt with. The hammock holds no heat. While this is great in the hot summer months when one can sleep comfortably without the addition of either air conditioning or blankets, in the winter some form of blanketing must be incorporated into the sleep system. This can include comforters, blankets, snuggies, or sleeping bags. Even with this bit of inconvenience, however, a hammock is a back’s best friend! Visit Seaside Hammocks today!

1 comment:

  1. What was the website that sells hammocks for back pain?

    ReplyDelete